You get the diagnosis and it is not good. What is the first thing many of us want to do? Panic. Within seconds fear can reach its icy tentacles right into your heart and grip it like a vise. Immediately you are imagining the very worst that could happen and spiraling into depression.
Maybe you begin using positive affirmations because you believe in the power of positive thoughts, but in the back of your mind and heart, fear creeps in and tempts you with the worst. Then comes the flood of questions:
- What if I do everything I know to do and I still don’t heal?
- What if I chose the wrong doctor or healer? What if the treatment doesn’t work?
- What if the condition is more powerful than my positive thinking?
- What if there are conditions you just can’t heal?
- What if the miracles don’t happen soon enough?
What we are really asking ourselves is, “ What if I suffer?” “Can I endure it?” “What if I die?” “Am I ready?”
Difficult as they may be, if you ignore these questions, they are just going to keep coming up until you honor them. If you give the fear power, what you fear most will be the likely outcome. If you try to leap over the fear, it still gnaws at you, no matter how many affirmations you do.
Fear is a natural and reasonable response. Fear is a survival reaction—a protection mechanism. Fear is healthy when someone runs a red light and your fear causes you to slam on the breaks before hitting the offending car. Fear is good when your baby is about to roll off the edge of a bed. Fear can cause us to take action quickly when immediate response is needed.
But prolonged fear does not help you heal. Fears can lead us to the worst possible conclusions long before those conclusions are ever likely happen.
Before I found an endocrinologist that could help me with my hormonal imbalance (As a woman, I was producing as much testosterone as a male in puberty.) I was extremely depressed with fear because no doctor had been able to help me and therefore, I concluded, there was no cure.
All I could see was pain and hopelessness, but in desperation I uttered a sincere and tearful prayer for help. I stopped trying to figure it out and opened my heart completely to Divine intervention.
Help came, literally, within minutes through the support of a friend that suspected what was going on for me and referred me to a doctor that could help. Divine intervention has many faces and mine came in the form of a good friend and a knowledgeable doctor who was used to treating severe hormone imbalances. The minute I had hope, the fear was gone.
There are ways to dissipate the fear and get to the energy that supports your healing.
- What I understand now is that hopefulness is something you choose, not just something you get when it looks like you have the right doctor, healer, treatment or therapy. True hope comes when you face the fear with its worst potential outcome and surrender the fear.
- If you meet the fear with compassion, understanding its reason for existence, and hold the fear in your compassion, the fear soon dissipates, naturally. It won’t work if you only hold the fear in compassion to get the fear to release because that is a form of by-passing rather than honoring the significance of the fear. But inner peace naturally follows when you honestly meet your fears with loving regard.
The minute the fear no longer persists, your energy is free to live fully from hope. Because your actions and choices are made from the hope and conviction that you are healing—healing occurs.
Illness and injuries demand that you open to more of your inner power and your connection to Source in order to discover your best paths to healing. Bodies can awaken spiritually right along with your consciousness through your healing journeys. That choice is yours to make.
Certainly, sometimes you do not shift enough physically fast enough to heal before death calls. But if you do not compassionately face our fear and instead allow it to be a pervasive force in your life, you may very well manifest our final release before it is truly necessary.
One of the reasons I created my Breakthrough Healing System was to help people dedicated to healing move beyond their fears. By giving the mind and spirit ways to be with the fears consciously and focus on your desired outcome—to feel great again—you can get from fear to fearlessness! And that kind of fearlessness is powerful for healing.
Once you have made peace with your fears, you have more access to the life force energy within that will set you free.